axi-cache

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Apr 8 23:22:19 UTC 2010

Hello,

if you `git clone git://git.debian.org/collab-maint/apt-xapian-index.git'
you find a little program called `axi-cache' which is like apt-cache for
apt-xapian-index.

You can search this way:

  ./axi-cache search foo bar baz facet::tag sec:section

In fact, you can use most of the things described here:
http://xapian.org/docs/queryparser.html

You can then say `./axi-cache more' to get more results.

You can repeat the last search with `./axi-cache again' and you can add
bits to the last search by providing more keywords to the again command.

You can search tags instead of packages by adding --tags

It will suggest extra terms for the search, and also suggest extra tags.
It can even correct spelling mistakes in the query terms once I upload
the new version of update-apt-xapian-index.

It also has a mode to integrate with bash-completion to suggest query
terms as you're typing the query, I need to enroll David Paleino for
help in writing the bash-completion script to see if it works.

Searches are saved in ~/.cache/axi-cache.state

Please give it a try, and if you have ideas for improving it before I
first upload it to unstable, please don't hold them back.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>