proposing a new debtag for "ical"

Andrew McMillan andrew at mcmillan.net.nz
Mon Apr 4 08:10:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 18:53 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>   discussing with Enrico, we noticed that there is at present no
> works-with-format::ical debtag, to identify all apps able to process
> ical files. The standard procedure to propose a suitable new tag is at
> http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/faq.html#what-makes-a-tag-good-for-being-added-to-the-vocabulary
> but the problem is that neither I nor Enrico know much about calendar
> formats.
>
> So, if you don't mind, we're coming to you for help with a few
> questions:

No problem!

> - would "ical" be an appropriate name for such a format or should it
>   rather be something else?

The format is officially called 'iCalendar' - "ical" is the name of a
program by Apple.  On the other hand I think that common use probably
means they've lost any trademark protection they might have had on
that...

> - if we go ahead and add "ical", should be also add some other related
>   formats?

vcard, I think, but with vcard you have to be a little careful about
versions. vcard2 and vcard3

A new standard for calendaring is xcalendar.  Not ratified yet, but it
will be in due course - essentially it's a transform of iCalendar into
XML.  Nothing works with it yet though, so little point adding a format
for it, I guess :-)

> - do you have an initial list of packages to suggest that could form an
>   initial set of debtagged packages for the debtags we are going to
>   introduce?

Well, I guess culling from "apt-cache search calendar" will be more
successful than "apt-cache search icalendar"

icedove, evolution, davical, calendarserver, radicale, akonadi,
korganizer, chandler, kronolith, roundcube ... emacs

There are many candidates, and more once you start getting into library
software :-)

Cheers,
					Andrew.
http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/                     Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora                                  Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
                  Every solution breeds new problems.