Feedback on a new system::* set of tags

Axel Beckert abe at debian.org
Sat Jan 28 16:02:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

Enrico Zini wrote:
> > > we are talking about a proposal[1] for a new Debtags facet for
> > > "Class of system" (laptop, mobile, server, cloud, embedded...]
> > >
> > > [1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debtags-devel/2012-January/002157.html
> >
> > I miss system::virtual in this list.
>
> Indeed it is missing. I could not do much better than this for the
> description, since Wikipedia takes it from a different angle (it does
> not have 'Virtual computer' but it has 'Hardware virtualization').
> Improvements welcome.

Some suggestions below.

>   Tag: system::virtual

Nevertheless I noticed that Debian very likely has way more packages
dedicated to systems hosting virtual machines than dedicated to be
installed inside a virtual machine. The only packages for which IMHO
this tag would be useful are AFAICS imvirt, virtualbox-guest-*,
openvm-* and xserver-xorg-*-vm*.

So I wonder if that tag will be useful enough to grant its existence
-- and if a tag for machines hosting virtual machines would be more
useful. Or is the system-administration::virtualization tag already
for that purpose?

BTW: I first got confused with the purpose of the system (both words
are tag roots, too) and the purpose of the (to be) tagged package. But
I think of the system's purpose, not of a package's purpose, here. :-)

"System running on a virtual computer"

>    A virtual computer hides the physical characteristics of a
>    computing platform from users, instead showing another abstract
>    computing platform.

A virtual computer hides the physical characteristics of a computing
platform from users and the operating system, allowing to share
hardware ressources among several operating system installations by
providing an abstract computing platform.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin