[Debtorrent-devel] Apt-ftparchive proposal

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Sat May 5 22:34:09 UTC 2007

I updated the proposal for changes to apt-ftparchive to support some
of the planned advanced debtorrent features. The proposal is now
somewhat complete, and I'm looking for comments on it. You can find
the full proposal here:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebTorrent/Apt-ftparchiveProposal

I'll summarize some of the results for the calculations I did. I'll
assume a piece size of 512 KB, as I think that's the sweet spot we'll
be aiming for.

For adding sub-file pieces to the Packages file, the main-amd64
Packages file will grow by 1.4 MB, which is about 7%.

Adding sub-Packages pieces to Release files requires 41 KB, which can
be added in the Release file causing it to grow by 52%, or can be
added in separate Packages.pieces files, requiring an additional 39 KB
in 42 files, but only adding 4 KB to the Release file causing it to
grow by only 4%.

Both modifications required less added data than I thought, which is
good. Therefore, I think both are possible.

Cameron