[Decaf-devel] New test release 0.1.4

Luis Matos gass at otiliamatos.ath.cx
Thu Dec 28 17:12:03 CET 2006

Sex, 2006-12-22 às 09:08 +0000, Joachim Breitner escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 21.12.2006, 23:49 +0000 schrieb Luis Matos:
> > maybe a /etc/decaf/
> >
> > with
> > decaf-workstation
> > decaf-db
> > decaf-cashier
> >
> > my problem is only one: special files in user's home. There is no need
> > and is bad.
>
> Why is that bad? Most user applications (and decaf-cashier is a user
> application) have their configuration in ~/.something
>
> > if we have a /etc/decaf
> > we can have decaf-user (user & group for workstation) and a
> > decaf-cashier group for decaf-cashier, owning
> > the /etc/decaf/decaf-cashier.conf .
>
> This means we force the cafe administrator to use a specific account for
> decaf-cashier, or have him manually add his normal account to a group.

true
is it hard to do a adduser user decaf-cashier?

or you can select a user by debconf at install.

> I’d imagine that he rather don’t want that dictated, especially as
> decaf-cashier will not be the only application he well be using: He will
> use his machine as a totally normal desktop, with Office, Printing,
> e-Mails, probably games. Just that he has an additional application that
> happens to _remote_ control the café’s server.
>
> And since the db is most likely on a different machine anyways, so he
> has to manually transfer the settings with the password anyways, so it
> does not matter if it ends up in /etc or ~/.

it does matter if you have only a user in that computer that uses the
program (only have to set one ~/. ) or several users ( copy the ~/.
several times).

so, a cashier machine ( in a cyber there is a machine that is the
cashier machine, right miguel?) can have multiple users ( several
employees ). so every user can login with it's own user and execute
cashier, by being previously allowed by the cyber's owner.

> But we can keep discussing, I don’t have my opinion set in stone. Just
> convince me :-)

my idea is to make the application more widely usable in which any user
can have access to the cashier program, just adding him to the cashier's
group. This is a normal proceeding in the unix environment. Instead of
having a central conf file, you have to give everyone a password and so
on.

> Happy holidays!
>
> Joachim

have a happy new year.