Problem with *.zip archives

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Sat Apr 12 20:18:52 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 30.03.2014, 21:19 -0400 schrieb James McCoy:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:48:35PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > >
> > > ... like fetched from VCS in a get-orig-source target.  Yes, I'm all for
> > > it.  This would be helpful.
> >
> > If I get a second second,  preferably from a devscripts admin, I can
> > work on it.
>
> Seconded.  More modularity in the scripts would be much appreciated.

How about this (I started with the manpage, to serve as a specifiation
and TODO list, it is on the branch mk-origtargz):

MK-ORIGTARGZ(1)                                     MK-ORIGTARGZ(1)

NAME
       mk-origtargz - Rename upstream tarball, optionally changing
       the compression and removing unwanted files.

SYNOPSIS
       mk-origtargz [OPTIONS] foo-1.0.tar.gz
       mk-origtargz --help

DESCRIPTION
       mk-origtargz renames the given file to match what is
       expected by dpkg-buildpackage, based on the source package
       name and version in debian/changelog. It can convert zip to
       tar, optionally change the compression scheme and remove
       files according to Files-Excluded in debian/copyright. The
       resulting file is placed in debian/../...

       If the package name is given via the --package option, no
       information is read from debian/, and the result file is
       placed in the current directory.

       mk-origtargz is commonly called via uscan, which first
       obtains the upstream tarball.

OPTIONS
   Metadata options
       The following options extend or replace information taken
       from debian/.

       --package package
           Use package as the name of the Debian source package,
           and do not require or use a debian/ directory. This
           option can only be used together with --version.

           The default is to use the package name of the first
           entry in debian/changelog.

       -v, --version version
           Use version as the version of the package. If version is
           a full Debian version, i.e. contains a dash, the
           upstream component is used.

           The default is to use the version of the first entry in
           debian/changelog.

       --exclude-file glob
           Remove files matching the given glob from the tarball,
           as if it was listed in Fiels-Excluded.

           This option amends the list of patterns found if
           debian/copyright. If you do not want to read that file,
           you will have to use --package.

   Action options
       These options specify what exactly mk-origtargz should do.
       The options --copy, --rename and --symlink are mutually
       exclusive.

       --symlink
           Make the resulting file a symlink to the given original
           file. (This is the default behaviour.)

           If the file has to be modified (because it is a zip
           file, because of --repack or Files-Excluded), this
           option behaves like --copy.

       --copy
           Make the resulting file a copy of the original file
           (unless it has to be modified, of course).

       --rename
           Rename the original file (This is the default
           behaviour.)

           If the file has to be modified (because it is a zip
           file, because of --repack or Files-Excluded), this
           implies that the original file is deleted afterwards.

       --repack
           If the given file is not in compressed using the desired
           format (see --compression), recompress it.

       --compression [ gz | bzip2 | lzma | xz ]
           If --repack is used, or if the given file is a zip file,
           ensure that the resulting file is compressed using the
           given scheme. The default is gz.

       -C, --directory directory
           Put the resulting file in the given directory.

SEE ALSO
       uscan(1), uupdate(1)

AUTHOR
       mk-origtargz and this manpage have been written by Joachim
       Breitner <nomeata at debian.org>.

Debian Utilities             2014-04-12             MK-ORIGTARGZ(1)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner