Problem with *.zip archives

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Fri Mar 21 10:23:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 20.03.2014, 08:02 +0100 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:14:37AM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 19.03.2014, 23:04 +0100 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> > > I'm testing the current status of uscan in devtools Git and noticed the
> > > following when trying to update cimg-dev and mothur ... both coming as
> > > zip archives:
> >
> > thanks. Added as a test case and fixed.
>
> Did you also pushed this change?

sorry, didn’t... done.

> > I noticed that with my changes, it did not remove the Excluded-File
> > file, because html/img/project-support.jpg does not match the full file
> > name. Is there a precise specification about how entries should match?
> > Anywhere in the file; the end of the file, the full file or the full
> > file excluding the first directory?
>
> When I proposed my first implementation the Files-Excluded was relative
> to the unpackaging dir and html/img/project-support.jpg.  Yesterday I
> learned (with some non-zip archive) that the implementation has changed
> to the root of the tar archive and thus now the correct way to specify
> the exclusion would be:
>
>    Files-Excluded: */html/img/project-support.jpg
>
> I simply assumed that the devscripts developers have good reasons for
> this change and I do not mind much (except that I need to remember to
> change some d/copyright files accordingly).

No, that was just me, based on what the testcases did (I like
implementing along testcases) and later realized that it is not what
others do.

> In any case if this change was intentionally we should probably fix the
> specification at
>
>    https://wiki.debian.org/UscanEnhancements
>
> as well.

Ok, if that is the specification, I can adjust the implementation to
match the specification, which also dictates that * should match / and .
as well.

> > I’m having some trouble getting the Text::Glob to do what I want,
> > especially with the Excluding-file-from-zip-without---repack that I was
> > asked to put back in (do we really need that? Who uses uscan to download
> > zip files without repacking them to tar),
>
> I guess there is no point in keeping zip files at all and changing them
> to tar ... and by default to tar.xz if you ask me.

So do we need to support zip-to-zip File-Exclusion? Or can we expect the
user do say “--repack” and (which creates the tar file) and only support
tar-to-tar File-Exclusion? Then I can revert
c5ac9056f396ce0009b9f8bcd628852e5a74eaa0 and
d48ce79e5e76da7f86b36245cf91d2f97c710879.

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner