Problem with *.zip archives

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Sat Mar 22 11:12:36 UTC 2014

Hi Joachim,

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:37:51AM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 21.03.2014, 21:29 -0400 schrieb James McCoy:
> > Why should we error out on the user instead of just inferring that
> > --repack is needed?
>
> Primarily because I don’t think software should magically do something
> that it would not do otherwise. If "uscan" does not repack the zipfile,
> I – as a user – would be very surprised if a change in debian/copyright
> would change that.
>
> Hence my suggestion to tell the user to explicitly use "--repack" in
> that case.

I'm not very opinionated on this question but for me James suggestion
sounds logical (and thus I have implemented it in the first place that
way).  I admit that I did not thought about the option to delete files
right out of the tarball before which is in fact something else than
repackaging (since you have proven that you can get identical md5sums
by simple deletion of files).

On the other hand *if* we specify --repack-compresssion this should
imply --repack.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--