[Dh-make-php-devel] Re: [Dh-make-php-commits] r209 - branches

Charles Fry debian at frogcircus.org
Tue Jun 6 14:12:17 UTC 2006

> It makes a lot of sense. Most of my software development has been
> done with cvs in the past and I just need to get accustomed to svn.
> On last question. Are branches and tags different from a technical point
> of view. It looks like they are just for two different views on the
> code from an organisational point of view. What you call 'static' and
> 'dynamic'. Both 'tagging' and 'branching' is actually just copying
> into a directory, isn't.

That is a good question. In CVS tags and branches are technically
different, each serving a useful purpose. In Subversion they are
technically the same, but as a matter of organization it is common to
maintain 'trunk', 'tags', and 'branches' as top-level directories, and
then work in them as if they were tags and branches in the CVS sense.

Charles

--
Big mistake
Many make