[Dict-common-dev] New release of dictionaries-common

Agustín Martín Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 13:47:48 +0200

Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

> * Agustín Martín Domingo <agmartin@aq.upm.es> [2002-04-02 17:07]:
>
> > I am also thinking about adding Piotr Roszatycki's update-ispell-hash
> > script to dictionaries-common package. There is a wishlist item in the
> > ispell BTS page (Bug #41741) about its possible incorporation to ispell
> > package, but dictionaries-common is probably a better place for it. What do
> > you think?
>
> I have not looked in detail into the update-ispell-hash script, but it looks
> like it is not incompatible with dictionaries-common.  We should identify
> the potential usefulness of update-ispell-hash in other dictionary packages.
> If it will be used by ipolish only, I would let it out.  Also, I do not
> fully understand the benefits of the script.  Is it goal only to save disk
> space, or also to improve performance?

The goal is to allow system admin to decide if desired which ispell
subdictionaries will be in the hash file, allowing for instance to add
more specialized dictionaries or avoid too specific dictionaries. But
currently only the polish dictionary uses it (as update-ipolish-hash),
so we can leave it out, unless other dictionaries want to use that or a
similar script.

> If I understand correctly, the script calls buildhash to build the hash file
> in /var/lib/ispell/<dict-name>.hash, to which a symlink is created in
> /usr/lib/ispell/<dict-name>.hash.  It seems to me that there is no
> mechanisms for allowing choosing dictionaries without building the hash
> files.  From this point of view, the update-ispell-hash script is quite
> different in philosophy from the tools available in dictionaries-common.

Yes, but dictionaries-common is also a good place to add some general
purpose tools, even if ispell specific, provided they are of enough
general interest. Of course it can also be in the ispell package or just
in the dictionary using it, like ipolish.

Agustin

Agustin Martin Domingo, Dpto. de Fisica, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politecnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html