[Dict-common-dev] Re: Re. aspell Fixes pending upload

Brian Nelson nelson@bignachos.com
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 13:23:18 -0800

--=-=-=

Agust=EDn Mart=EDn Domingo <agmartin@aq.upm.es> writes:

> Currently (0.33) it is not that difficult, the danish package by Peter
> Makholm is a nice example of doing that. I borrowed from it the dict
> build system system for my galician aspell dictionary.
>
> I do not know if this is changing in 0.50, but from the manuals seems
> not to be changed.
>
> About the myspell merging, seems that aspell will merge the myspell
> affix compression, but will not use the myspell dict format, so aspell
> dictionaries will still be endian dependent and so on,
>
> http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/aspell-devel/2001-December/000003.html
>
> and we will need to maintain for each language a wordlist, an ispell
> dict, an aspell dict and a myspell dict. Not something I really like. Do
> not know if the maintainer interface for aspell dict creation will
> change, but I would not change to 0.50 until knowing that. If it is to
> change, I prefer waiting and work on the final format, making one change
> instead of two.

FYI, I've been doing some testing with producing dictionaries with the
new Aspell.  The maintainer interface for aspell dictionary creation has
not changed, though the format of the output has.  Also, I think the way
that Aspell detects which dictionary to use has changed.  The current
method is described here:

http://savannah.gnu.org/download/aspell/manual/user/5_Working.html#SECTION0=
0660000000000000000

The dictionaries created with the new Aspell can be used with the
=2D-master option; however, the --lang option fails to work unless a
.multi file is created, as far as I can tell.

Since every aspell-dictionary package currently in Debian will not work
with the new Aspell, I think it's appropriate for the new Aspell to
conflict with <=3D the current version of every aspell-dictionary package,
to ensure a smooth transition from the packages in Woody.  Do you agree?

=2D-=20
Curse my natural showmanship!

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--