[Dict-common-dev] Experimental support for regions-to-spelling.map

Agustín Martín Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:46:29 +0200

Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> Okay, it is raining today in my town and I could not refrain myself from
> implementing the automatic generation of the regions-to-spelling.map file of
> the libspell4 package.
>
> First of all, I apologize for going on without waiting for the follow-up of
> the discussion.  For that reason, I consider my changes quite experimental,
> and if it happens that I made bad choices, we can revert the code to the
> previous state.
>
> I decided to let the individual IDWP have total control on the contents of
> regions-to-spelling.map.  IMO, it is much better so, because it would be a
> burden to either the libpspell or the dictionaries-common maintainers to keep
> up with changes in locale definitions and pwli file names.

Wonderful. Thanks for doing that.

I see one important problem about that. I think that file is or can also
be used by aspell dictionaries, so we are taking power on something not
currently covered by the policy. However that is a step towards the
future if at sometime aspell gets integrated.

In the meantime, if we do not want aspell packages to be affected, we
must make sure that entries in diverted 'regions-to-spelling.map' are
always merged and present in the autogenerated one. Also, we should not
use different names for entries already there. This is still putting our
feet out of the policy scope, but at least we are only adding things to
the existing ones, not changing or removing previous definitions.

We should also notify this to the pspell maintainer. Domenico, has that
package already been adopted?

> The dictionaries-common generates now automatically the
> regions-to-spelling.map file each time a new dictionary is installed (in the
> same way JEd and emacsen support is generated).  This file is now in
> /var/cache/dictionaries-common.  In order to make things work without
> changes in the libpspell package, the dictionaries-common package does two
> things:
>
>     1) Diversion of the /usr/share/pspell/regions-to-spelling.map file.
>        (This is why a new debian/dictionaries-common.preinst has been
>        added.)
>
>     2) Creation of the symlink /usr/share/pspell/regions-to-spelling.map ->
>        /var/cache/dictionaries-common/regions-to-spelling.map
>
> On the IDWP maitainer side, the only new thing that is required is the
> addition of a new field in debian/info-ispell file, like this:
>
>     Locale: pt_BR
>
> I committed the changes to the dict-common CVS repository and uploaded to
> the staging area two modified Ispell dict package: ibrazilian and
> iportuguese.  I tested the changes with abiword and it seems to work.

As a matter of fact, I think that the only affected packages are english
dicts and portuguese dicts. Norwegian uses different language locales
for bokmal and nynorsk (I have to change that in the norwegian dict,
currently is wrong).

> Please, test the new scheme.  Comments, as usual, are welcome.  If my
> changes are adopted, I would appreciate that a brave soul (Agustín? :-) make
> the necessary changes to the Policy document.

I will do. First I would like to know what Domenico Andreoli thinks
about this.

By the way, I have seen that Peter Makholm, danish and faroese dicts
maintainer has sent an ITA for aspell.

Cheers,

Agustin

Agustin Martin Domingo, Dpto. de Fisica, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politecnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html