[Dict-common-dev] Experimental support for regions-to-spelling.map

Agustín Martín Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:09:37 +0200

Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> * Agustín Martín Domingo <agmartin@aq.upm.es> [2002-06-17 16:08]:
>

>>I think that is the same as for ispell dicts, no entry is strictly
>>required unless you have the dict installed, but my experience with aspell
>>is very low. I would suggest putting only those three english variants
>>currently in regions-to-spelling.map (american, british and canadian), that
>>corresponds to the english dicts in aspell-en. That way we make sure that
>>those entries that were previously provided by libpspell4 are always there,
>>thus allowing somebody to use aspell-en for all english dicts and ispell
>>for the other ones, without even having i{american,british} installed.
>

> I implemented your suggestion and cvs committed the changes in the
> DictionariesCommon.pm.in file.  Please test.

Thanks, what a fast reaction!

I tested it and works as expected.

Just one minor thing, I first updated dictionaries-common and so was a
while without any valid regions-to-spelling.map, but as soon as I
installed a new ispell dict everything worked as expected.

This can affect people using only aspell dicts and wordlists.
dictionaries-common would then divert the regions-to-spelling.map file,
but no new file is created since no ispell dictionary is installed.

This is a rather strange case, but might worth adding a call to
'/usr/sbin/update-default-ispell --rebuild' to the configure section of
dictionaries-common.postinst. What do you think?

Another really minor thing. It would be good to not only say at the
autogenerated regions-to-spelling.map file that it is autogenerated, but
also say who did it e.g. 'tools from the dictionaries-common package'.

Agustin Martin Domingo, Dpto. de Fisica, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politecnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html