[Dict-common-dev] Re: Re. aspell Fixes pending upload

Agustín Martín Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:23:26 +0100

Brian Nelson wrote:
> =

> Agustín Martín Domingo <agmartin@aq.upm.es> writes:
> =

> =

> No, not yet.  I was planning to wait until upload was imminent before
> alerting them, since it's not clear when the licensing issues will be
> resolved.  Also, I figured it was more of an upstream problem than a
> maintainer problem.  Since pspell is deprecated, upstreams should be
> moving away from it.

Thanks, that was one of my worries about that. May be you can start
contacting maintainers so they can prepare things in advance.

> Note that the author claims that the new Aspell is backward-compatible
> with the old aspell/pspell combo:
> =

> http://savannah.gnu.org/download/aspell/manual/user/2_Getting.html#SECT=
ION00354000000000000000
> =

Thanks again, nice to know that. From what I read I had the other
feeling. At least I remember reading that pspell-ispell modules were no
longer available, but I might be wrong again, since things in aspell
change fast. In the policy document for ispell dictionaries we
implemented the need of the pspell pwli files so they can be used
through the pspell-ispell module. I guess we should remove that now,
what do you think?. There is still a place where both systems ispell and
aspell are related, emacs. We currently rebuild the emacs menus for
dictionaries from mainly the ispell stuff, that leaves outside aspell
ones, that can only be used if the corresponding ispell dict is
installed. This requires to be improved.

> > I personally prefer the old way (pspell) of doing things, although it=

> > will become a dead end at some time, and would keep it until the affi=
> > compresion support is merged into aspell, but that is only my point o=
> > view.
> =

> Pspell is already considered a dead end, by the author anyway.  Affix
> compression support is expected in the next release.
> =

An aditional suggestion then, myspell dicts as well as aspell dicts will
then have mostly the same files. Some coordination is needed so the same
dict can be used from within myspell or aspell without installing two
dictionaries (something like a common installation dir and symlinks from
the aspell/myspell preferred locations). <dream mode on> In an ideal
world somebody should change the ispell aff format to the myspell one
with all that implies so we get rid of repeated dictionaries, just which
spellchecker to use would then remain as a user/program choice without
the extra burden of a lot of dictionaries for the same language. </dream
mode off>

> > I am cc'ing to the dict-common mailing list, since we were considerin=
> > how to merge aspell into the Debian dictionaries policy at
> >
> > http://dict-common.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > and everything it had was for the old aspell.
> =

> Hmm, I'm not sure how the new Aspell would be integrated into that
> policy.  It seems to be pretty much independent of ispell and its
> dictionaries.  If there's anything I can do to help though, please let
> me know.

I think the only remaining problem is the emacs stuff I pointed out
before. Also we added some aspell stuff to the policy, mainly an excerpt
of the aspell/pspell documentation. This might also be good for the new
aspell, but is your choice.

> =

> > By the way, seems that the new libtool has fixed the hppa FTBFS bug,
> > even with old aspell. I am trying that now, but I have to leave. Will=

> > try again tomorrow.
> =

> /me mutters some profanities regarding libtool under my breath...
> =

I also have no idea about libtool, what sounds like kanji to me, just
seemed that the FTBFS was caused by libtool and yesterday tried to
rebuild at paer and see what happen. It built until it realised that
hppa was not listed as an arch on the control file, but seemed to pass
after the FTBFS problem. I will try again tomorrow, today I am at other
University.

Cheers,

Agustin