[Dict-common-dev] Details about the transition

Agustín Martín Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:56:46 +0200

Hi all,

I hope you all had a nice summer. Time for transition is approaching, if
we keep the deadline for the end of september, and there are still some
missing details about the best way to do it.

I see two possibilities, depending on whether dictionaries-common is
uploaded at the beginning or at the end of the process (IDWP=ispell
dictionaries and wordlist packages):

At the beginning:
  - Upload dictionaries-common to Debian. All old style IDWP will
    conflict with it and will be removed. New style IDWP are uploaded.
    Probably too confusing for users and a source of bug reports.

At the end:
  - First most IDWP are uploaded. They will be in unstable, although not
    installable because of the dictionaries-common dependency. Users will
    see that a more recent version for their IDWP is available, but will
    fail to install it since dictionaries-common is lacking. In the
    meantime spellchecking will be available through the old packages.
    Also somewhat confusing, but I think less than the previous
    possibility.

There is really an intermediate possibility:

- start uploading IDWP at the same time dictionaries-common is uploaded
to Debian, that being the real deadline. Since dictionaries-common will
need some days before is added to the global override file, we hope that
in that time most new style IDWP are uploaded and when it is included in
the archive most of transition be done. The timings here will really
depend on ftpmasters load and will require more syncronization on our side.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Agustin

Agustin Martin Domingo, Dpto. de Fisica, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politecnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html