[Dict-common-dev] po-debconf and the dictionaries-common policy

Agustin Martin Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:16:20 +0200

Denis Barbier wrote:

> But po2debconf is called twice in installdeb-ispell, both directly and
> indirectly through dh_installdebconf.

Your are right, that was written to work even if the installed debhelper
version lacked po-debconf support (mostly for experiments under woody
for maintainers that at some time had no access to a sid box). Now that
is mostly unnecesary. I am raising debhelper dependency in
dictionaries-common-dev to make sure dh_installdebconf is po2debconf
aware. Thanks for pointing out this.

> A simpler option is not to rename
> templates and config files, let installdeb-ispell call dh_installdebconf,
> then fix those files copied under tmpdir($package)."/DEBIAN/templates".

I personally prefer to hack before installing DEBIAN/{templates,config}.
The simplest fix for me (to be tested) is not to call po2debconf
explicitely in installdeb-*, but simply copy
$package.po-master.templates file, merged with the system templates,
into $package.templates, something like changing in installdeb*

-         $orig = `po2debconf $infile`;
+         $orig = `cat $infile`;

dh_installdebconf will do the rest of the work, and since the dependency
change is in dictionaries-common-dev maintainers need not to do any
additional changes, what is desirable.

> You can even remove calls to dh_installdebconf and assume it has to
> be called before installdeb-ispell, this script then only patches
> DEBIAN/templates and DEBIAN/config files (plus other stuff not related
> to debconf).

This would break most ispell/wordlist packages builds until is changed
in all, so maintainers will need to rebuild the packages and set a
dependency. If works (I still have to test that carefully), I am more
for the above solution.

Thanks for your feedback, Denis

--
Agustin