[Dict-common-dev] Re: Debian transition to Aspell 0.60

Brian Nelson nelson@bignachos.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:16:51 -0800

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 03:34:31PM +0100, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 01:40:47AM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> [...]
> > Also, any packages depending
> > on aspell-dictionary will unfortunately have to be updated to use
> > aspell6-dictionary instead.  These packages are: abiword-common,
> > sylpheed, sylpheed-claws, ekg, ekg2.
>
> Sorry for the long delay.
>
> ekg and ekg2 are in:
> http://people.debian.org/~porridge/aspell-transition/
>
> Two things:
>
>  1) I have decided to keep:
>
>  Suggests: aspell-pl | aspell6-dictionary, sms-pl
>
>  Rather than the suggested:
>
>  Suggests: aspell-pl, sms-pl
>
>  Because I think that the latter might cause some package management
>  tools to nag the user to install aspell-pl even if she already
>  installed some other dictionary. Just a theory, though, not tested.

Note that libaspell15, which ekg links against, already Recommends:
aspell-en | aspell6-dictionary.  I'd think that relationship would
override the aspell-pl | aspell6-dictionary one, so the user would get
aspell-en by default and probably not notice aspell-pl at all.

It may make more sense to just use the Suggests: aspell-pl, ...

>  2) If possible, please wait with the upload until ekg 1:1.5+20050212-1
>  (uploaded today, urgency=medium, so that should last about six days
>  IIRC) enters testing. Iff you want to do the upload earlier, then
>  please let me know, and I'll provide 1:1.5+20050212-2 with increased
>  urgency.

Since ekg only has a weak relationship (Suggests) on
aspell-dictionary/aspell6-dictionary, the upload of aspell 0.60
shouldn't have any effect on ekg's candidancy for testing, provided
you've linked against the libaspell15 currently in testing.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.