[Dict-common-dev] aspell-en problems with aspell-autobuildhash

Brian Nelson nelson@bignachos.com
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:51:00 -0700

I'm trying to make aspell-en use aspell-autobuildhash and I've run into
a problem.

It appears as though aspell-autobuildhash assumes the dictionary uses
the following files:

/usr/share/aspell/$lang.*wl.gz
/var/lib/aspell/$lang.rws
/var/lib/aspell/$lang.compat

However, aspell-en wordlists do not fit the above naming convection.
They're named like:

/usr/share/aspell/en-common.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en-variant_0.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en-variant_1.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en-variant_2.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_CA-w_accents-only.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_CA-wo_a
[...]

Installed a /var/lib/aspell/en.compat and running aspell-autobuildhash
fails because it looks for /usr/share/aspell/en.*wl.gz and fails to find
any matching wordlists.

Adding separate .compat files for each of these lists (instead of a
single ) doesn't produce the correct results either, because it runs
stuff like "aspell --lang=en-common" with looks for a corresponding
en-common.dat, which of course doesn't exist.

I think the correction is to, instead of looking for one of
/usr/share/aspell/$lang.*wl.gz, look at /usr/share/aspell/$lang*.*wl.gz
and run $build_hash for each one.

Does that sound correct?  If so, I can come up with a patch ...

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.