[Dict-common-dev] ispell 3.3.02 uploaded to experimental

Agustin Martin agmartin at debian.org
Thu Mar 31 10:05:37 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 08:56:54PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Martin-Éric Racine
>
> (sorry about the huge Cc list. :-( )

Shortening it and adding dict-common-dev.

> | At the risk of sounding silly, I really have to ask:
> |
> | Why does Debian even bother with ispell anymore, considering that
> | almost everything out there has been converted to use aspell or
> | myspell instead of ispell, plus the FSF considers aspell as the only
> | GNU -supported spell checker?
>
> Afaik emacs for instance still defaults to using ispell, so while GNU
> might have said that in some context, it's not particularly enforced.

FSF Emacs has aspell as default (see e.g. emacs-snapshot). For backwards
compatibility I was keeping ispell as Debian default (for everything but
emacs-snapshot) until squeeze release. I already changed that to aspell
to have a similar behavior for all Emacs flavours.

AFAIK, the only remaining ispell-only feature is suport for pseudo-charsets
(writing things like \'a instead of 'a) and lower memory footprint.
aspell had support for pseudo-charsets in its TODO list, but do not know its
status. IIRC hunspell does not have it.

Ragards,

--
Agustin