[Dict-common-dev] myspell/hunspell relationships need update

Roland Rosenfeld roland at debian.org
Thu Sep 15 13:49:32 UTC 2016

The "Debian Spelling Dictionaries and Tools Policy" mentions, what
relationships a myspell/hunspell dictionary package should have.

From my point of view these relationships should be updated.

Currently we have the following:

> * hunspell and myspell dictionary packages should declare a Suggests
>   on Libreoffice or OpenOffice.org and on the Mozilla flavors in
>   Debian that support the spellchecker. Something like
>
>   Suggests: hunspell,
>    libreoffice-core | openoffice.org-hunspell | openoffice.org-core (>= 2.0.2),
>    iceape-browser | iceweasel | icedove

We should remove openoffice.org completely here and we should replace
iceweasel by firefox.

But my more important question is: shouldn't we remove this complete
bullet point?
Why do we suggest some randomly chosen programs, that use hunspell/myspell?
Even hunspell itself (the command line version, in contrast to
libhunspell-1.4) doesn't make much sense as a "Suggests", since it is
seldom used, while most users use the library via Firefox, LibreOffice
or some other programs.

> * myspell dictionary packages must Conflict: against openoffice.org (<= 1.0.3-2)
>
> * hunspell dictionary packages should conflict against old versions of
>   Mozilla / OpenOffice.org not supporting hunspell
>
>   mozilla-browser (<< 1.8+1.1.1-2),
>    iceape-browser (<< 1.1.1-2),
>    firefox (<< 2.0.0.3-2),
>    thunderbird (<< 2.0.0.1+0dfsg-0),
>    iceweasel (<< 2.0.0.3-2),
>    icedove (<< 2.0.0.0-4),
>    libxul0d (= 1.8.0.11-3),
>    openoffice.org (<= 1.0.3-2),
>    openoffice.org-core (<< 2.1~m190-1)
>
> * The myspell/hunspell packages having an "old" version named
>   openoffice.org-spellcheck-* (regardless of whether that was in
>   Debian once or not) must declare the magic Conflicts: / Provides: /
>   Replaces: combination "against" the old package.

These very old conflicts don't hurt, but does it really make sense to
keep them in the policy and in the package control files?  None of the
mentioned package versions is available in jessie, wheezy, or squeeze,
so I'd suggest removing these completely from the policy and in the
consequence from the hunspell/myspell-packages.

What do you think about this?

Should I write a bug report against dictionaries-common-dev including
a patch, that remove the four above bullet points?

Greetings
Roland

(maintainer of all German dictionaries)