[Dict-common-dev] myspell/hunspell relationships need update

Roland Rosenfeld roland at spinnaker.de
Tue Sep 20 06:14:43 UTC 2016

Hi Agustin!

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016, Agustin Martin wrote:

> > We should remove openoffice.org completely here and we should replace
> > iceweasel by firefox.
>
> Agreed,

But don't forget firefox-esr as an alternative...

> > But my more important question is: shouldn't we remove this complete
> > bullet point?
> > Why do we suggest some randomly chosen programs, that use hunspell/myspell?
> > Even hunspell itself (the command line version, in contrast to
> > libhunspell-1.4) doesn't make much sense as a "Suggests", since it is
> > seldom used, while most users use the library via Firefox, LibreOffice
> > or some other programs.
>
> At least Emacs uses a pipe to plain hunspell. The point here is that
> installing a hunspell dictionary should suggest that it needs to be
> installed along with something that uses it, so I do not think that the
> suggests is bogus. Other thing is what are the contents of the suggests
> line,

Wouldn't that imply, that every lib* should suggest a program that's
linked against it?
The correct "direction" of dependencies is, that hunspell or
libhunspell-* recommends hunspell-directory, which is provided by the
directory itself, but not vice versa.

Tschoeeee

        Roland