[Egtk-discuss] Re: [eiffel-gtk-discuss] Merging my work from ewg-gtk into egtk2

Paolo Redaelli paolo.redaelli at poste.it
Tue Nov 29 16:27:36 UTC 2005

Il giorno mar, 29/11/2005 alle 15.54 +0000, Oliver Elphick ha scritto:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 13:07 +0100, Paolo Redaelli wrote:
> > Il giorno mar, 29/11/2005 alle 11.40 +0100, Paolo Redaelli ha scritto:
> > > I'll try to merge my work on ewg-gtk2 into a checked out version of egtk
> > > (from subversion)
>
> Since there are so many differences and the result will only run on SE2
> (yes?) the new merge had better be a new tree within the project.
Yes, let's start a new tree.

> Since I prefer to run free software, I am effectively committed to SE 2
> and will only be spending effort on that.  Judging by the Gobo project,
> it will not be possible to make egtk support both SE 2 and the other
> Eiffels.
I do agree the whole line. I like Free/GNU software and I want to use
only Free Software (note the capital letters). I also like Eiffel, or
better the Eiffel language that were before ECMA. Therefore the only
choice I have is to support SmartEiffel.
The code I wrote for ewg-gtk2 is almost entirely and easily adaptable to
egtk2 (let's call it that way). The only unadaptable part is the one
regarding callbacks.
What version of the compiler do you plan to use?
Using the latest (currently 2.2-rc1) is a fine choice for you?

If you don't mind I'll start converting to egtk2 the part I wrapped for
ewg-gtk2 that are not covered by egtk.
Have you finished converting all those case-errors in current egtk or
shall I do it? (I know that being a Debian developer makes you a busy
man... )

	Paolo who hopes to make SmartEiffel *THE* language of choice in the
Free Software community (*)

*: yes this means that I plan to wrap many many libraries... Gnome,
GnomeVfs, GnomeDB, GSL, GTS net and cryptgraphy are the first I
recall...