[Fingerforce-devel] libfprint in alioth.

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Mon Jan 21 00:20:46 UTC 2008

Hello!

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:26:14 +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Miguel Gea Milvaques wrote:
>> Dererk has uploaded the Emfox packages to the alioth svn.
>> The packages are perfectly packages and ready to upload. The only
>> question is: do we upload it to unstable or experimental?
>>
>> My opinion is that it's enough stable to upload it to unstable.
>
> I don't know the differences to make my own suggestion here,

Mostly for Daniel.  A complete explanation of the Debian experimental
distribution is available at [1], for a short note:

  The experimental distribution is a special distribution. It is not a
  full distribution in the same sense as `stable' and `unstable'
  are. Instead, it is meant to be a temporary staging area for highly
  experimental software where there's a good chance that the software
  could break your system, or software that's just too unstable even for
  the unstable distribution (but there is a reason to package it
  nevertheless). Users who download and install packages from
  experimental are expected to have been duly warned. In short, all bets
  are off for the experimental distribution.

> but please remember that the libfprint API and file formats are not
> yet stable. I have discouraged other distributions from putting it
> into their main trees for this reason.

Given the definition of "experimental" above, I strongly advocate for
fprint (and any software depending on it) in experimental.  This at
least to be respectful of upstream author.

Another plan could be to upload to experimental, wait a while (e.g. 1
month) and if no important bug is reported, upload to unstable, but
*only* with an RC bug to keep it outside testing until upstream author
agrees.

IMHO, the first option (i.e., staying in experimental) is clearer, since
people installing it know that they could experience problems.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] Debian Developer's Reference (ver. 3.3.9, 04 August, 2007)
      4. Resources for Debian Developers
      4.6 The Debian Archive
      4.6.4 Distributions
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/