Proposal for package workflow/packaging

Daniel Baumann daniel at debian.org
Thu Feb 21 07:42:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

let's have some thoughts about the package workflow and packaging in
general.

Because I really much like git[0], I propose the following things:

1. We should use git for everything, rather than clutter the vcs things
with team maintained packages/ressources spread through svn.d.o, git.d.o
and bzr.d.o or $whatever.d.o.

2. The usage of pristine-tar[1] to keep upstream tarballs. This is,
imho, the most elegant and efficient way to store them. Also, this way,
everything you need is a clone of the git repository and you have
everything you'll ever need with respect to a particular package.

3. Basically, everyone handles packages freely on his/her own, from the
initial upload of a new git repository on alioth, up to the point where
the package just needs to be, finally, uploaded by someone.

But to keep things consistent (and I very strongly think that
consistency is a good thing), I'd like to suggest to stick to some
common 'guidelines' for all packages with respect to the debian/* stuff,
such as:

  * not using cdbs, but plain debhelper only[2].

  * using the proposed copyright[3] format which is intended to be
    machine readable.

  * generall things like having 'slick' debian/* files (look at e.g. the
    rules files of some of the already uploaded packages to see what i
    mean).

  * using stgit for handle upstream modifications/patches.

For the low-level stuff of actually working with git, I've written up
the necessary commands to a page[4]. By following this cheatpage,
everyone should be able to manage packages (at least I think so,
otherwise, tell me where you need clarifications/additional information).

Ready for your opinions, comments, improvements etc. now..

[0] http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/a_problem_with_tools/
[1]
http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/generating_pristine_tarballs_from_git_repositories/
[2] http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/ship_in_a_bottle/