fatback_1.3-1_i386.changes REJECTED

Tim tim-projects at sentinelchicken.org
Sat Aug 15 23:46:32 UTC 2009

> the files fatback-manual.* state
>   Copyright @copyright{} 2000-2001 DoD Computer Forensics Lab
>   This manual and the Fatback program are for @strong{government and law
>   enforcement use only}.
> which is incompatible to the DFSG.

The above copyright statement seems to be a weak attempt to restrict
usage of the fatback program, but this is likely not enforceable.
Works of the US Goverment are, in general, not copyrightable at all.

See:  http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html

  "105. Subject matter of copyright: United States Government works

       Copyright protection under this title is not available for any
       work of the United States Government, but the United States
       Government is not precluded from receiving and holding copyrights
       transferred to it by assignment, bequest, or otherwise."

Perhaps the copyright were transferred, but I would be surprised.  In
any case, I agree that some investigation may need to be done before
establishing that it is indeed in the public domain.

tim