pHash library

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz tiago at debian.org
Tue Dec 15 00:18:56 UTC 2009

Hey,

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 07:18:21PM +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:
> * Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago at debian.org> [20091214 18:46]:
>
> > I've just finished a first usable libphash (#519290) package for Debian.
> > Before pushing it to NEW I would appreciate a review from the team. I'm not
> > experienced in libraries packaging so a review could avoid issues with
> > ftp-master.
>
> > Homepage: http://phash.org
> > Vcs-Browser: http://git.debian.org/?p=forensics/libphash.git
> > Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/forensics/libphash.git
>
> The libs look ok to me. But libphash-samples maybe isn't perfect
> yet:
>
> * Binary names like test_video are calling for problems.
>   Are the binaries useful at all or would providing just the
>   cpp files be sufficient?
>
> * Assuming the binaries should be shipped: there are no manpages
>   for all the provided binaries.
>
> * I'd prefer something like phash-samples as package name for a
>   package providing binaries instead of lib*.

Actually it doesn't make much sense to have a separeted -samples package.
Binaries are not that useful, have strange names, are really small and there's
no manpage nor even basic instructions about how to use them. That said, I'm
going to ship such examples (maybe only .cpp files) with the -dev package.
Please tell me if you disagree.

> * I assume the DH_VERBOSE=1 inside debian/rules is intentional for
>   now. ;)

Ooops, not really :) Thanks for that.

> Though I'd appreciate if you could use the branching approach we use
> in the forensics project. It was established by Daniel in recent
> days and the big benefit of it is that the upstream tarball is
> available within the git repository.

Oh god, Daniel always bringing trouble... :) lol. I'll take a look and fix it,
sure.

> The documentation used to be available at:
>
>   http://daniel.debian.net/documents/cheatpages/git.html
>   http://daniel.debian.net/documents/cheatpages/maintainer.html
>
> Though Daniel's website seems to be offline, I just uploaded a
> copy therefore to:
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~mika/forensics/git.html
>   http://people.debian.org/~mika/forensics/maintainer.html
>
> [Yeah, we should provide official docs for our workflow on the
> Debian forensics homepage once....]
>
> Thanks for your work.

Thank you,

--