Debian-Forensics team working towards Squeeze?

Tim tim-projects at sentinelchicken.org
Mon Mar 22 01:15:47 UTC 2010

Hi mika, everyone,

> * make sure all our packages are up2date (matching current upstream
>   release)

In regard to this, I'm in one of my active development cycles on
RegLookup.  I'm getting some help from a certain Australian whiz kid
and he's inspiring me to push the development further.  I was hoping
to make one more release sometime soon and get it into squeeze if
possible.  What do you guess my timeline would be on that?

> * check out which new additional packages should be integrated,
>   related to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics/TODO

In a quick look at that list, I'd love to see these be packaged:
  air
  fmem
  libpff
  dc3dd

pyflag would of course be cool too, but it may be a lot more effort on
short notice.  I agree with mika that hydra shouldn't be a high
priority.  The few times I've used it, it either didn't do what I
wanted or it crashed.  medusa seems to be much more stable, if lightly
documented.  It's bloody fast too.

Of course this is all talk and no action.  Unfortunately, I don't have
time right now to learn how to create debian packages and integrate
them with the build system, so do what you think is best.

> I'd work on a new wiki page at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics
> for coordinating the efforts if some of you are interested in joining.

If you guys do have any nasty bugs in a package, let me know and I can
try to help with the debugging/resolution or working with the upstream.

Best,
tim