aimage

Christophe Monniez christophe.monniez at fccu.be
Tue Oct 11 05:12:57 UTC 2011

Le lundi 10 octobre 2011 à 20:59 +0200, Julien Valroff a écrit :
> Le lundi 10 oct. 2011 à 20:36:26 (+0200 CEST), Don Raikes a écrit :
> > Just to add my 2 cents: the aimage package was replaced with guymage.
> > However, as a blind computer forensics wannabe, I have tested guymage and
> > it is totally inaccessible to a blind person while aimage being a
> > command-line application is not inaccessible.
>
> That's a good point you might want to report upstream as well (I mean thank
> aimage developers and ask for a more accessible UI to guymager developers).
>
> > I would push to have it maintained as  an available package.
>
> In the mean time, I have checked and notices the 3.2.5 version of aimage was
> released on 17.11.2011 which shows the upstream development is still active.
>
> I think the package shouldn't have been removed from the archive at all.
> Still, the package needs to be more carefully checked to ensure everything
> is ok. It eg. misses copyright information for files under debian/.
>
> Christophe, what do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

guymager is not a real replacement of aimage.
While aimage is a tool to produce forensic copies in aff format,
guymager is a graphical tool to produce forensic copies in dd, ewf and
aff format.

I asked to remove aimage from the archive because it was not maintained
anymore. At this time, I sent a mail to the upstream author and he
replied me that he had no more time to work on it anymore. A few days
later, he decided to fix aimage, probably because that I was not the
only one ask for it.

I think that aimage have a place in Debian because there is no other
command line tool that does the job. I use it all the time at work
because a lot of our machine does not have a graphical interface.

The actual package seems to work, I used it two time yesterday without
any problem.

I'll look at copyright informations.

Thanks.

--