TSK 4.1.2

Michael Prokop mika at debian.org
Mon Feb 3 13:43:46 UTC 2014

* Eriberto [Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 10:53:27AM -0200]:
> 2014-02-03 Michael Prokop <mika at debian.org>:

> > I just took a quick look at it:

> > * It would be good if changes would be available as stand-alone
> >   patches, and not have *all* changes (including debian/changelog)
> >   in one single large patch.

> Sorry. I didn't understand what you want. I repackaged all because
> this is a new upstream version.

Every change should go into a separate commit.

> >  There are quite some changes where
> >   I can see only "removed" or "updated" in the changelog but
> >   lacking any reasoning for the change (like for example why
> >   maintainer scripts got removed).

> Ok. As an example:

>   * Patches:
[...]
> Do you want a description for the added patch (20_fix_spelling_errors.diff)?
[...]

No, it's fine for those patches, but it's unclear e.g. here:

|  * sleuthkit.postinst: removed.
|  * sleuthkit.prerm: removed.

because it's unclear *why* those changes have been made.

> >   Are Christophe Monniez and Hilko Bengen (who both are in the
> >   Uploaders field as well) involved in the Debian packaging changes?

> No. Christophe Monniez is the last maintainer and I considered he as
> current. But you are right. The package was abandoned. I will keep
> this package and repack each new upstream version. Hilko tested a
> symlink question quickly for me but doesn't made a relevant work. I
> will remove these names.

You shouldn't add/remove maintainers without their ACK,
so just leave it as it is plus add yourself if you feel like you
want to contribute to this package also in the future (as in: feel
responsible for bug reports etc).

> >   [I don't strictly require to have the patch split into separate
> >   changes now that all the work has been done already, so it's more
> >   of a general note for the future - but I'm also not really
> >   comfortable with uploading it as it is right now, ftr.]

> Please, explain me again your idea and I will move the world to get
> this package updated quickly in Debian. I need this.

As noted above, all your changes went into one single commit
(b76f91787c1), instead of making each change into a separate commit.

> > * "Removed, after renamed, useless and empty binary libtsk10-dbg,
> >   because libtsk10 already is naturally 'stripped'." => I don't
> >   understand this one, you removed the dh_strip call, but why
> >   not just use "dh_strip -a -plibtsk10 --dbg-package=libtsk10-dbg"
> >   or so do provide useful dbg package?

> dh_strip -a -plibtsk10 --dbg-package=libtsk10-dbg didn't provide any
> results. The original lib is already stripped. Do ypu have a
> suggestion about it?

Didn't check yet, but if upstream is already stripping it in the
default install target then we should see what's the best way to
avoid that. (I'm fine with providing a sleuthkit update without
providing a dbg package for now.)

Further notes:

* sleuthkit_4.1.2.orig.tar.gz is missing in pristine-tar branch
* upstream branch doesn't provide 4.1.2 source

See http://people.debian.org/~mika/forensics/maintainer.html for its
supposed workflow. I've just fixed both of that, but you never
imported/merged upstream stuff into your own branch, so I'm
wondering how you actually build your Debian package, because your
branch clearly doesn't match upstream's 4.1.2 source (and it doesn't
build for me).

BTW: sleuthkit 4.1.3 was just released on Jan 26, 2014

regards,
-mika-