[Freedombox-discuss] Introductions

paxcoder paxcoder at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 19:11:56 UTC 2010

On 08/28/2010 06:30 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:
> We should not forget that as we're promoting the technology for people
> to maintain their own information, we also want to promote business
> models that are compatible with that information.

You're missing the aim of the project entirely. We will make FREEDOMbox
to enable more private, secure networking for persons. Have you watched
Moglen's talk[1]? It's not about making a cheap server and selling it to
companies. If it were, we'd probably be non-free and provide services
like UbuntuOne. We won't.

We are settled on distributed storage. Businesses? Let them take care of
themselves. Let them install their own cloud clients if they want to, or
hire someone that'll do that for them. We've got more important things
to do.
--Luka Marčetić.

[1] Here:
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/high/1252_How_We_Can_Be_the_Silver_Lining_of_the_Cloud.ogv