[Freedombox-discuss] Introductions

cristian paul peñaranda rojas paul at kristianpaul.org
Sun Aug 29 02:52:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 09:16:53PM -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
> I'd like to get started -- is there an ideal hardware device to buy for
> this work at this point? I heard that some of the plug devices have
> serious freedom issues, but I am little confused between the various brands.

Well yes they have, actually hardware as most of us hardware we use,
is propietary and fulled of "blobs" in hardware as similar representations we
have in sofware, why i said this? becuase the word "box" and free.

The box contain hafware wich is not free, even protocols like what we
know as Wifi is support by propietary, sure we run free sofware "free of
blobs", but we cant ignore what is inside the box ;)

So we can but free sofware in a "box" as we do with our comoputer,
so out compter are freedomboxes too? well i'll said not

What why have kwnow to move on thissues in pointed, well
there is a growring comunity around copyleft hardware [1] we
can ask more about at irc or mail, there are also WIP projects
about freeing some parts of this hardware (HDL part), is not
use me know ! project but be aware of dont hurt

I just wannted to point that still and ongoing way on
freedom for our boxes ;)

PD: sorry you receive this again first reply seemed to lost
o hope this dont

Bye

Cristian Paul

[1] http://en.qi-hardware.com