[Freedombox-discuss] Introductions + failsafe e-mail

paxcoder paxcoder at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 15:30:41 UTC 2010

On 08/29/2010 03:59 PM, Osama Khalid wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 03:19:09PM +0200, paxcoder wrote:
>
>> I think the general opinion is distributed storage instead of
>> clouds
>>
> Hmm. I just read the whole thread but I couldn't notice any general
> opinion yet.

Since you've send this personally to my mail (cc), I'm guessing you
wanted a response.
FreedomBox/Requirements lists "distributed storage", the main page lists
at least one such system (Wuala) as an example, and the original
Debconf10 text file does also ("distributed backup/file system"). Also,
there are people on the mailing list who expressed they want this, and
even that they are willing to do this. So it is my impression this is
wanted, whereas cloud storage is a deprecated solution for the FreedomBox.
> I don't have much knowledge in this regard, but personally, I believe
> in a local (i.e. distrusted) storage solution because it'd avoid too
> much unnecessary bandwidth when someone wants to access their
> (i.e. email, photos and such).
>
> Regards,

Distributed storage isn't local storage replacement. It's an additional
feature (eg. for making backups your files, as someone suggested).
GNUnet should take care of reciprocating bandwidth, as well as
computational power. You earn points, you spend points. One could, of
course, opt out if he/she wanted to. GNUnet points-earning system may
perhaps be used for telephony and e-mail keeping as well (useful when
the recipient's box is unavailable). However, I can't see how SMTP's
would support such arrangements. Anyone familiar with/interested in
this? How do you designate an alternative mailbox at your friend's?

--Luka Marčetić