[Freedombox-discuss] Introductions

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Aug 30 11:43:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:14:48AM +0000, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:48:09AM +0200, Michiel de Jong wrote:

>>> Good point, thank you. Understanding that, I will probably work on
>>> my own project, separate from FreedomBox, and way upstream from it
>>> as you say.
>>>
>>> I will follow your progress, and if at any point I feel I have
>>> something that could be useful for the FreedomBox, then I'll let you
>>> know.
>>>

>> Great!  Do keep us updated, and please stay subscribed.
>>
>> I do not mean to kill enthusiasm, on the contrary: I worry that
>> creating-code initiatives have a high risk of getting nowhere if
>> attempted to be realized here.  Too many cooks may spoil invention.
>

>I think you make an excellent point - there is lots and lots of
>fantastic software out there, making what we already have easy to
>deploy and use is the quickest way to come up with something useful and
>start having impact. Rather than reinvent wheels, we should make the
>ones we have as easy to use as possible.
>
>That said - do you have pointers (links etc.) for those of use who are
>actually writing what we feel are missing pieces of this particular
>puzzle, to help us make progress on adding our code to the Debian
>package tree?

Good question!

To help improve already packaged pieces, try
http://www.debian.org/intro/help (especially point 4).

To tell Debian that you found/created some software that might be
interesting for someone to package, file a so-called "RFP" (request for
packaging) bugreport.  This is documented at
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ but of you already use Debian or a
derivative thereof, I recommend to *not* send a plain email but instead
use the commandline tool "reportbug" found in the Debian package of the
same name: That tool helps guide you through composing a well-formed
bugreport.

When filing an RFP bugreport, you will 5-10 minutes later recieve a
confirmation.  Check the mail headers: one of the email addresses
contain a 6 digit number which is the bugreport number.  Add this number
to the FreedomBox wiki page, to encourage Debian developers interested
in FreedomBox to package your code.

Kind regards,