[Freedombox-discuss] Wikileaks and DNS

Luka Marčetić paxcoder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 16:18:57 UTC 2010

On 12/15/2010 11:38 AM, Philip Hands wrote:
> So, what does an alternative DNS provide?  It's going to provide nothing
> to the vast mass of people that think that the way that you get to a web
> site is by typing the URL into a google search, unless you get ISPs
> around the world to point at the .p2p TLD (or whatever), which is then
> reliance on (slightly less) central authority again.

I follow the dns-p2p project. It is yet to enter the design phase fully
- just like FB if that ever happens (says he hypocritically)-  but it
has a potential to be fully distributed. The way it should work is it
should resolve the *.p2p domains using a wrapper on top of the existing
glibc resolver client. The way I understood it, individual (trusted)
nodes should all act as DNS servers to eachother. Not much else is
certain about the project at this stage.

Two more projects to look at are I2P (http://www.i2p2.de/) and Netsukuku
(http://netsukuku.freaknet.org/?pag=faq). The former implements its own
protocols which offer "garlic" encryption. The latter is a wireless mesh
network project worth looking at.

-Luka Marčetić