[Freedombox-discuss] Handling default passwords - or not

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Dec 22 10:38:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:24:12AM +0100, Arthur Lutz wrote:
>I came across this post, that I think could be a source of inspiration
>for handling the password initiation when installing a FreedomBox.
>
>http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/end-to-default-passwords

Interesting read.  Especially the detailed list of apps and their
password mechanisms.

But I wonder: Is it relevant to us?

As I see it, we are using Debian, which already does pre-seeding, and
"post-seeding" too.

With "post-install" I mean that if we choose to dump a generic premade
install into the SheevaPlug internal storage, we can ensure the password
questions of each package is not flagged as "seen" in debconf and have
the initial boot trigger a dpkg-reconfigure - obviously wrapped somehow,
e.g. by a web UI.

I suspect that if your link is relevant, it is because of thinking in
terms of "working on top of Debian" instead of working *with* Debian.

...or did I miss your point?