[Freedombox-discuss] Ubuntu and Freedom Box?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 7 12:57:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 07:58:03PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> More specifically: Ubuntu has a different view on what hardware is
> relevant to support. Where Debian generally aim at hardware still
> possible to buy (ARMv5 or ARMv6), Ubuntu aim at hardware expected
> popular to buy in the near future (ARMv7).

> Ubuntu is a business, working directly with hardware vendors:
> Interested in pushing sales of new hardware.

Ubuntu is a free software platform, derived from Debian.  Being a
user-centric project, we're keen to focus on hardware which provides the
best experience for users.  Ubuntu Netbook Edition and Desktop Edition are
simply a lot more pleasant to use (read: usable at all) on modern ARM

Canonical is a business, working with hardware vendors, who are interested
in selling their products.  Most of them are selling traditional
embedded-class platforms as well as newer, high-performance ones, but
Canonical's services are more appropriate for the latter.

> Debian is a community, working directly with users: Interested in
> extending the lifespan of hardware.

Let's work together where it is beneficial to do so. :-)

 - mdz