[Freedombox-discuss] NAS or little-space-sheevaplug, the HD question

Gianluca Moro giangiammy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 09:47:37 UTC 2010

hi all,

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 05:49:29PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>
> I would take the "cloud" aspect a bit further, and consider whether online
> storage could be used for more than just backup.  I don't think the FB needs
> to be completely self-contained, so long as it preserves individual autonomy
> and control, and provides the services that people want.

I have been working a bit in this direction, where the base idea is
"my freedom box needs to let me the complete control of the data"
but this control do not imply "physical control of the data".

I implemented a proof of concept in my cloudusb project, where
I keep programs and data encrypted in a bootable USB stick,
with an online backup of encrypted data, so to use on line resources
but keeping the control thru' encryption.

This could be applied in other configuration too: for example,
to have some data only online (crypted) so to have minimum
local hardware requirements.

bye
giammy

--