[Freedombox-discuss] Finding a good place to start

e.waelde ew.ng7125 at nassur.net
Wed Oct 6 18:17:46 UTC 2010

Hi.

"Where to start". Good question.

I also think the fundamental problem is "how does one FreedomBox find another one".
There is a proposal to solve this as a TOR hidden service, see this message:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2010-September/000086.html
Jon, have you spent time on this? Where to start reading/testing/fiddling???

Then a FreedomBox can be set up doing nothing more but seeing the others.
Ok, I guess some piece of code shall report the findings.

The next thing after that is probably "how does my FreedomBox form some sort of distributed
storage with the others?".

Please note: if I want a complete copy my data to be distributed to say 4 other nodes,
and I want to recover the data from any one of these, then every FreedomBox needs to
dedicate 4/5 (==80%) of the local storage to be used by the others.

After that, the world is pretty open IMHO.

On 10/06/2010 01:22 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Yeah, I suspect we all have slightly different opinions on which pieces
> FreedomBox should consist of.
>
> My FreedomBox should include...
> * IPv6 routing
> * Mail storage and access [dovecot]
> * Chat [ejabberd]
> * VoIP [asterisk]
> * Static web pages w/ CGI editing [lighttpd, ikiwiki]
> + Includes FOAF profile w/ Fingerpoint
> + Includes OpenID
> * Cloning/recreation mechanism [git, gitweb, ssh]
> + Ability for me to replicate my system w/ data
> + Ability for all to replicate my system w/o data

This is a pretty interesting list. Could be mine :-)

Cheers,
Erich