[Freedombox-discuss] Dehierarchicalization (e.g. avoiding DNS) is imperative?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Oct 7 14:28:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 03:53:40PM +0200, Christian Brædstrup wrote:
>The main concept of freedombox is to give the users total freedom over
>there life in cyberspace. That must also include the freedom to choose
>what network to use (if any. They could just run the box on there LAN
>and not give it access to the WAN).

To me(!) the aim of this FreedomBox project is how How We [Debian] Can
Be the Silver Lining of the Cloud.

Not "...We [anyone]..." as the talk was targeted Debian.

Not "...of some cloud" as it is the internet (not my LAN and not some
Freenet) I feen (and, I believe, Eben Moglen feels too) is growing too
central and out of (my) control.

Feel free to disagree: I won't try persuade anyone to agree with me, but
really want you all to understand my stand on this, so that you can
choose to work with me or ignore my rants on an educated basis.

>If we require the user to only use DNS or only a dehierarchicalization
>network that we made then the point of the system disappears.

I perfectly agree with this.

I also(!) agree with a higher goal of escaping from any and all binding
hierarchies (be it hierarchical DNS, Facebook, Google or whatever), but
see it as a different project: This project has as one of its goals to
keep on bridging the Free and the hierarchically controlled worlds.

When I reach the promised land, I will let the Freedom out of the Box:
Turn off my FreedomBox and access the Free net directly from all of my
other computing devices.

Kind regards,