[Freedombox-discuss] Leaving the (proprietary) cloud - my roadmap for FB

Arthur Lutz arthur.lutz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 10:54:34 UTC 2010

Hi,

When I think of the FreedomBox and leaving the cloud, the first thing
I think about migrating is not my email. One of the reasons is that
I'm quite dependent on it and don't really want an adjustment period
right now for this tool. When I think about leaving the cloud, I want
to migrate the least "critical" services first, so I can start
trusting my FB (stability, security use etc.)

This is why I've started a list of things I use (or are popular) on
the cloud with opensource equivalents that could be self-hosted
(hopefully on an FB). Here is my list so far, some of the services I
have already migrated to a hosted server or a QNAP at home (which I
haven't migrated to debian yet [1]) :

* google reader (RSS) -> tiny rss
* flickr -> gallery
* gmail -> imap + webmail
* wordpress -> self-hosted wordpress
* delicious -> ?
* dropbox -> sparkleshare or ifolder
* twitter/identica -> self-hosted statusnet
* last.fm -> self-hosted libre.fm
* gtalk -> jabber
* google calendar -> ?
* film log -> filmaster
* google search -> yacy
* skype -> ?
* facebook -> diaspora
* music streaming sites -> ampache or tin can jukebox

I have always found it quite useful using theses services even tough I
wasn't happy with the licences and terms and conditions, and am always
hoping for an opensource equivalent. For some services, some software
is mature enough for the switch.

I think we can also distinguish a classification for each of these services :

* self-hosted
* self-hosted talking to proprietary equivalents
* self-hosted talking to other self-hosted

Finally, I think the adoption of a FreedomBox would benefit from
out-of-the-box equivalents to popular web2.0 websites such as those
mentionned above (sorry I don't really want to advertise these). Maybe
we can use the Map of Online Communities (2010) drawn by XKCD :
http://xkcd.com/802/ as an inspiration for the targeted services we
would facilitate.

Hope this helps, if people think it's relevant, maybe we can start
documenting these equivalents (and the migration documentation?) on
the wiki.

Arthur

[1] http://www.cyrius.com/debian/orion/qnap/ts-109/