[Freedombox-discuss] service classification facets

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Oct 9 13:50:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 12:54:34PM +0200, Arthur Lutz wrote:
>I think we can also distinguish a classification for each of these
>services :
>
>* self-hosted
>* self-hosted talking to proprietary equivalents
>* self-hosted talking to other self-hosted

Another classification facet is whether the hosting is for personal or
shared use.

Some of our current use of central services are obviously collaborative
in nature - like Facebook and del.icio.us.  Other, however, are not:
Google can refine their search engine by applying graphing algorithms to
use patterns, but the use itself is not collaborative.

I just looked a bit closer at desktopcouch[1] and want that on my
FreedomBox - as a personal replication service: to share web bookmarks
etc. not with my friends but with myself!

So it relates to bookmarks, calendaring etc., but in another facet than
ical and scuttle.

  - Jonas

[1] desktopcouch is packaged for debian. More info at
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktopcouch .