[Freedombox-discuss] Leaving the (proprietary) cloud - my roadmap for FB

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at beanstalks-project.net
Sat Oct 9 17:12:03 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 02:26:35PM +0200, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.orgwrote:

>>> less hints for other services to track info about my >>online activities.

>>> ...which is?
>>>

>> http://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion, can be found easily, they announced it.
>>

> Could you please elaborate in *words* on what it is you are talking about?
>
> I failed to resolve above (is it a TOR URL?), and anyway I find it
> generally annoying to need to jump through hoops instead of simply be given
> a clear brief explanation :-(

Yes, that is an URL within TOR.

As I understand it (and I speak as someone who hasn't yet played with TOR),
you can provide a service to the TOR community where anonymity of both the
users and the service providers is guaranteed. The address for such a
service is a .onion URL like those above.

I'm not sure what the benefit is, of providing a TOR hidden service version
of something which is freely and non-anonymously available on the public
Internet, as I think TOR provides access to the open Internet as well. Maybe
it makes things more efficient? Or maybe it's just good geek-PR for
DuckDuckGo. :-)

There is also a tor2web service which provides access to TOR hidden (web)
services from the public web: www.tor2web.com, so that URL can be viewed
from the public Internet as: http://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.tor2web.com/

Here are some docs:
http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-hidden-service.html.en

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, CEO and janitor of the Beanstalks Project.

http://beanstalks-project.net/  ~  http://bre.klaki.net/