[Freedombox-discuss] started: dockstar, debian, nginx and tor hidden service

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at beanstalks-project.net
Sat Oct 9 19:31:30 UTC 2010

Very cool!

As I write this, I am going through a similar process myself, except instead
of a plug device, I'm installing into a small VirtualBox image (512MB), so I
can play with it on my laptop. Once I've reached the same point as you, I
was thinking about just compressing the image and uploading it somewhere so
others could download it and play with it.

It had even occurred to me that it might be cool to boot the image and put
it on the network somewhere, where others from this list could log on, tweak
and configure things - thus the configuration work could be a shared
process, and we could simply publish snapshots now and then. Once we have a
configuration we like, I was thinking we could then start working on proper
packaging.

Thoughts?

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM, e.waelde <ew.ng7125 at nassur.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> while all the discussions sparked by my innocent "where to start?" are
> all important, however, any FreedomBox will not spontaneously spring
> into existence by some odd quirk in the vacuum fluctuations ...
>
> ---
>
> I installed Debian GNU/Linux (sqeeze) on a dockstar system according
> [1] http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/
> [2] http://peterwong.net/blog/?p=115
> and references therein.
>
> I changed the network settings to static IP, by preference
> I added ntp (client) and a few tools I like to have.
>
> ---
>
> Then I installed tor/polipo to access the TOR network. Instructions
> can be found on the tor web page:
> [3] http://www.torproject.org
>
> Edit
>   /etc/tor/torrc
>   /etc/polipo/config
> according to the instructions on
> [4] http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en
>
> polipo acts as a http proxy and redirects traffic via tor.
> The local process "tor" acts like a socks proxy.
>
> To check for a working configuration I used w3m:
> HTTP_PROXY="http://localhost:8123" w3m http://check.torproject.org
> This page tells clearly, whether the connection has been routed through
> TOR or not --- no, I'm not an expert, so I just believe the message on the
> page :-?
>

> After that it's time to visit the "hidden service test page"
> HTTP_PROXY="http://localhost:8123" w3m http://duskgytldkxiuqc6.onion/
>
> This domain can only be resolved by TOR itself.
>
> ---
>
> After that I installed a webserver (nginx) and created a small web page.
>
> Then I created a "hidden service" myself according to the instructions in
> [5] http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-hidden-service.html.en
>
> The webpage can currently be reached as
> http://3ilx6tb2wfpf3sqz.onion
>
> Please note: the box is behind a firewall and no IP address has been
> published
> via dyndns or something. I have not configured any allowed incoming
> connections.
> Still the page can be found via TOR.
>
> IMHO this is **impressive**!
>
> Big "Thank You" to all the folks, who keep Debian, TOR, and everything else
> running!
>

> Of course this site has not been crafted to not reveal any information. It
> will go
> offline again without warning.
>

> Cheers,
> Erich

Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, CEO and janitor of the Beanstalks Project.

http://beanstalks-project.net/  ~  http://bre.klaki.net/