[Freedombox-discuss] Leaving the (proprietary) cloud - my roadmap for FB

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at beanstalks-project.net
Sun Oct 10 09:54:12 UTC 2010

2010/10/10 Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson <bre at beanstalks-project.net>

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Melvin Carvalho <
> melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8 October 2010 14:01, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> > On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 12:54:34PM +0200, Arthur Lutz wrote

>> quite
>> for
>> least
>>

> I see FreedomBox as a nice drop-in home-server which is designed to be
> reachable from the wider internet. It'll run some web-servers, something
> like Diaspora... mine will probably handle my e-mail at some point, etc. But
> the killer feature for me is always the same: Automated, user-friendly
> backups.
>
> So my contribution to the list is:
>
>  * Time-machine/... -> dirvish + https + ...?
>
> With some minor tweaks I've managed to get Dirvish to do fully automated,
> opportunistic backups of the family's computers (laptops etc.) that come and
> go from my home network, and then I grant access to the backup snapshots
> using an SSL+password-protected, publicly visible HTTP server.  This gives
> us both backups and access to all our files, all the time, from anywhere.
>
> I've also worked on auto-extracting and sorting media (mp3s etc) from the
> backups (using hard-links to save space, like Dirvish), allowing me to build
> a central media library without any manual work: just copy files to my
> laptop, let them sit for a backup cycle or two and then delete them. :-)
>
> The same idea may apply to other things, such as aggregating bookmarks or
> even making your own private version of Google's in-the-cloud web-surfing
> history. Extracting your e-mail "social graph" and using for light-weight
> personalized spam-filtering could also be very powerful.  You almost
> certainly don't share that stuff with 3rd parties, but being able to mine
> your own data can be really useful and on a home server, backups are a
> useful and elegant way to collect the raw data.

I've added Dirvish to the wiki.

Also, I recognize that backups require a *large* external hard-drive
attached to our target plug computers. As would some of the other features
people would like to see, like media streaming or e-mail storage. I don't
think that's reason to exclude them, but it's another way to categorize
services: by size.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, CEO and janitor of the Beanstalks Project.

http://beanstalks-project.net/  ~  http://bre.klaki.net/