[Freedombox-discuss] The FB Base system

Christian Brædstrup linuxchristian at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 11:09:19 UTC 2010

2010/10/11 Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at beanstalks-project.net

> Enter PageKite: somewhere there is a front-end PageKite server with a
> public IP, and your PageKite back-end connects to it whenever it has a
> network connection, creating a persistent TCP/IP tunnel. The back-end then
> uses common dynamic DNS to direct public Internet traffic to the front-end,
> which then proxies any requests over the tunnel to the back-end. The
> back-end then connects, just like a normal reverse-proxy, to your local
> web-server, SMTP-server, or whatever it was you wanted to expose to the
> wider Internet.

I think that sounds like a great place to start when doing projects for the
non-tech user. But then you need to config both the front-end and back-end.
If you are able to config your router can you then run both front- and
back-end on the same system?

> The free-software PageKite implementation includes both the back-end and
> the front-end. So people can mix and match front-end providers (your friend
> could run one for you) and dynamic DNS providers. My company will be a
> one-stop-shop for getting up and running (names for sale, sub-domains for
> free, dynamic DNS and fast, managed, geographically distributed front-ends),
> but there is no lock-in - others can run front-ends and the back-end already
> has (untested) support for the protocol used by DynDNS and No-IP.com.

Can you get at the back-end without going through the front-end? I am
thinking that if there should be a web interface to FB then you need to be
able to access it from your local network after installing the system and
not having to setup the front-end before that. Or can you config the
pagekite webserver to route local trafic to a web interface and the frontend
trafic to your public services?

Cheers,
Christian