[Freedombox-discuss] qemu squeeze armel image

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at beanstalks-project.net
Mon Oct 11 14:20:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:00 PM, <bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 02:02:49PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:15:04 +0200, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I succesfully build a qemu image of a debian squeeze (armel arch).
> > >
> > > As Lars seems to lack time to do this, I've prepared one. Point is that
> > > don't have a public webspace to put it on, so if someone here has some
> > > spare place for it, please contact me to give the way to upload it.
> > >
> > > It's actually a 512Mo cqow2 image, that I've partitionned as a LVM
> volume
> > > so that it can be extended with another disk, sounded like close to
> what
> > > was possible for a sheevaplug or so.
> >
> > I can host that if people find it useful, although if that's a a vanilla
> > install, I'd think it might be better to publish the recipe somehow
> > (with as much of the install automated as possible) as that will give us
> > a quicker download, and will give us a starting point on which to build
> > a fully automated install, which is almost certainly going to be useful
> > at some point.

That's actually the approach I ended up taking with my image. My base image
is just a Debian stable bare-bones install, and then I run a shell script
which apt-get installs the missing packages and tweaks the config. My script
(and a VirtualBox image) can be seen here:
http://pagekite.net/commnity/DebianFB/

This is obviously not a good way to distribute stuff long term, but it's a
pretty easy way to get started.

> So, send me a URL (and provide a GPG signature for the image) and I'll
> > publish both for you.
>
> Well, that's the point, if I had a URL, I would have send it here :) I'm
> waiting for Bjarni to provide me a place where to publish it actually.

Almost ready! :-)

The web-site and bandwidth are in place, am just deciding how to grant
access for the upload itself - I can't grant shell access to the box, so
it's gonna be some sort of HTTP upload form.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, CEO and janitor of the Beanstalks Project.

http://beanstalks-project.net/  ~  http://bre.klaki.net/