[Freedombox-discuss] Introductions + failsafe e-mail

Ian Sullivan ian at churchkey.org
Sat Sep 4 19:27:05 UTC 2010

On 09/03/2010 06:29 PM, paxcoder wrote:
> On 09/02/2010 05:44 PM, ian at churchkey.org wrote:
>> Maybe the way to do email in a social network uses something like
>> distributed storage /instead/ of SMTP.
>>
> The internal e-mail is not a problem, the problem is bringing in the
> rest of the world on this.

That's interesting, we see the problem exactly reversed.  The way I  see
it, the problem we have with email is trying to make sure we can get our
messages directly to both kinds of contacts without relaying them
through a third party, even though we're not sure what kind of up
time/network reliability to expect from our individual freedom box nodes.

If we can't make sure that our outgoing server is up at the same time as
the receiving server, and we're not interested in relaying our mail
through other servers, then we'll end up in a situation where messages
that you've "sent" just sit on your machine for an unknown period of
time before actually being delivered.

Delivering email to people in the wider world is basically a solved
problem, because everyone else is @gmail or some other large, redundant
failover, central email server. The odds of those servers being down are
so low it doesn't seem worth worrying about.

If, however, we're dealing with two potentially unreachable servers,
like our two freedom nodes, then it becomes more difficult to ensure
delivery unless we use something like that TahoeLAFS sharing where we
can rely on our friends peering messages in the encrypted filesystem
without having to worry about them seeing that there is traffic between
two people or what the traffic contains.

If we're worried about the central servers, like gmail, that our friends
use, we don't have many options. Those friends are actively giving their
data to a third party and no architectural choices we make will change
that. We can set all of our outgoing mail servers to use SMTPs by
default, which will do a lot to make it harder for /other/ people on the
network at at our ISPs to see the contents of our mail, which is at
least progress.

-Ian