[Freedombox-discuss] don't write code - user-friendly configuration

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at beanstalks-project.net
Sun Sep 5 20:13:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Matthew Johnson <mjj29 at debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun Sep 05 21:28, bertagaz wrote:
> > I think the cloud concept as you define it is too large, and melting
> > unrelated things, which doesn't help to understand what we are talking
> > about.

(replying to bertagaz here)

I may be a bit odd, but the only definition of "the cloud" that makes sense
to me, is "the machines that are always on and have fixed, route-able IP
addresses".  Machines may be virtual or not, but those are the properties
that put them "in the cloud" as opposed to someone's living room, a
company's internal network, or a wifi-enabled coffee shop.

We will want to use "the cloud" for all sorts of things.  We just want to do
it on our own terms. :-)

If you only meant that you don't want the FreedomBox to be a Facebook and
Flickr client.. then I might be tempted to agree. On the other hand, that is
exactly what the Diaspora guys are doing, to make sure people actually want
to use their stuff. It's a good strategy.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson

http://beanstalks-project.net/
http://bre.klaki.net/