[Freedombox-discuss] Quality of service (QOS) - Asterisk

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Wed Sep 8 13:21:01 UTC 2010

>        Hello all,
>
> One of the main buss words that Eben speak in his talk was Asterisk.

As an aside, I think we should step back from Eben's use of the word
"Asterisk", and interpret him to mean "an appropriate VoIP transport
solution" when he says that word, rather than assuming that he is
prescribing Asterisk as the best solution for that facility.

Personally, I don't like Asterisk much -- it reminds me of sendmail in
many ways.  Similarly, there was a time when people would have said
"sendmail" when they meant "an appropriate mail transport agent"

My personal preference at the moment is for Freeswitch over asterisk,
but I've no idea how well that might fit into the freedombox as an
alternative to asterisk, and it does have its problems too (the way it's
built is pretty packaging-hostile at present).  Also, I've not used
asterisk for a few years so my opinions about it may be outdated.

Sipwitch seems like it might work very well in the freedombox, given
that it is supposed to provide a skype-like p2p layer for SIP, but I've
not yet managed to get it running, so cannot confirm this from personal
experience.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that we should reject asterisk and choose
something else -- I'm just saying that we should not ignore the
alternatives that have popped up more recently, since one of them might
provide a better fit on the FB.

As for QoS, it might be nice if one could expect ISPs to honour such
things on the router that is pushing packets down one's ADSL, but one
cannot, and there's not much one can do to fix that from this end of the
ADSL (which is where most FB's are going to sit).

Cheers, Phil.