[Freedombox-discuss] Introducing myself

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Fri Apr 8 23:02:15 UTC 2011

On 4/8/2011 4:40 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

>>> Very _very_ cool!
>>>
> What I find cool is the list of things you've actually tried out
> yourself.

Ah yes. Thank you. Yep each one of those applications is currently up
and running
and supporting my daily activities. Well statusnet app has been a bit
unreliable so
I haven't been using it as much as I would like. However upgrading to
the most
recent version shows promise. I use my blog/wiki daily. The other apps get
varying degrees of use as needed. I haven't logged into any off net
applications
except Linkedin and my bank for some time. Ideally I could get off of
linkedin
and move to a more federated service. I have some thoughts on how to use
web of trust to drive recruitment activities. Once the underlying social net
software gets more stable I'll probably start hacking on it. Of course
going to LUG meetings and meeting bunches of people is how I've gotten
most of my gigs. Dice.com has been useful, but I want to put my complete
resume out there in the XMLResume format and combine that with other
federated systems to make recruiting better. or something. It's a really
long
way off. :)

Sorry for the long winded nature of that, but some background is
probably useful. :)

> I am quite interested in improving Debian packages to be installable
> readily usable out of the box.  Experience like yours can potentially be
> quite useful there.

Ah yes. I haven't used any Debian packages. I simply used the .zip off
the site, unpacked
it, created the db/user and ran the setup wizard. Obviously easily
doable as Debian post
install hooks with the awesome dbconfig-common or whatever it's called.
I spent the vast
majority of time evaluating different packages. Install was trivial for
all of them. As I mentioned
in my "what my vision of freedombox is" post, I want to make it into a
meta package (dataown-lamp) and have it all magically
setup and integrated with my one time password system.  Ideally in a way
that is trivial for folks to swap in whatever app
they want in any problem space (photos/blog/social net/todo list/crm).

> How detailed do you have your setups documented?  Did you use Debian
> packages, compiled everything yourself, or...?

Sure. No debian packages were used. I just grabbed latest upstream. If
the install was
broken I rejected the package. If it required anything beyond a web
based installer I rejected
it. Simple is key. I can automate simple and deliver to the masses. The
criteria I used in the first
elimination rounds seemed solid to me at the time. The
authors/maintainers of the software cared
enough to ship working installers, so the usage quality of the software
received high attention as well.
So far I haven't been proven wrong. :)